How to Find Scholarships for College
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclaimer for more information.
Let’s be real, college is expensive. No matter what school you attend, it’s still a bit of money you’d rather put towards something else. Like maybe some yummy food for once. And it’d be nice to not be in debt for the rest of your life, am I right? I’m right.
That’s where scholarships for college come into play.
There are TONS of scholarships just waiting to be applied for, with deadlines all throughout the year. No matter what you’re studying, what grade you’re in (high school or college), if you’re male or female, play sports or take on leadership roles, the kind scholarship-makers have you covered. Like, for real. There is a scholarship for almost anything.
After looking through all of these I’m super motivated to apply to as many as I can! I’ve got some student loan debt and wouldn’t mind some free money to help pay it off. *insert crying emoji*
Scholarships for College Students
All I can say is I really wish I would have looked into scholarships sooner. There is an unbelievable amount of them out there for anyone in any situation. As well, the likelihood of being awarded at least one scholarship is very high.
The below scholarships all can be found through Unigo. Each category is updated throughout the year, based on when new ones are available and when old ones expire. Each scholarship states the deadline, criteria for eligibility, and the application process. Some are super simple while some require essays. Nevertheless. they’re all worth looking at (if they pertain to you).
So check out this awesome list of scholarships for college and start saving on your college tuition!
You’d be surprised how many college athletic scholarships are out there. Through Unigo, there are scholarships for the following:
College Specific Scholarships
This section is full of college specific scholarships. So if you go to Adams State University for example, you simply click on the box for that college and it will bring up scholarships for that particular university. This is very handy if you’re trying to see what your specific school offers to see if you can apply for any of their scholarships. Since there are too many colleges to list, I’m just going to leave the link to them all here for you to check out. 🙂
Company Sponsored Scholarships
Many company offers scholarships, such as Coca-Cola and Annie’s Homegrown. Isn’t that kind of them?! Here are the different categories of Company Sponsored Scholarships:
• Bank Sponsored: Some examples are the Sallie Mae Plan for College Sweepstakes, U.S. Bank Scholarship, and Because College is Expensive Scholarship. That last one couldn’t be more true. *insert tear drop emoji*
• Food and Beverage Company Sponsored: These ones are pretty good and include the Dr. Pepper Tuition Giveaway Contest, Annie’s Homegrown Sustainable Agriculture Scholarship (I love Annie’s!!), Coca-Cola Scholars Program, plus more.
• Medical Company Sponsored: I can only imagine how expensive medical school is, so this list of Medical Company Sponsored Scholarships is sure to help offset some of the costs.
• Other Company Sponsored: This is a collection of random Company Sponsored Scholarships, including the Video Game Addiction Research Grant, Zip Recruiter Scholarship Plan, plus tons more.
These are all merit scholarships for college, so if either pertains to you, you’re in luck!
• First-Generation: As the name suggests, these scholarships are dedicated to students who are the first in their family to attend college. Check ’em out and see how you can get some of your tuition covered.
• Leadership: These scholarships are for those who have taken on leadership roles, whether it be in a club, sports team, volunteer organization, etc.
Here are some college scholarships for minorities. Everyone deserves the opportunity to participate in higher learning, and these scholarships help with that. You can search for scholarships based on the below ethnic groups:
Scholarships by Major
If you’re looking for even more scholarships, you can search for ones based solely on your major. So since I’m an engineering student, I’m going to search through the engineering major section and see if I can apply to any of those scholarships. Below are all the majors listed on Unigo with scholarships relating to each.
Scholarships by State
Since there are 50 states, I’m not going to type them all out. But here you can find state-specific scholarships, because where you live could help you get scholarships.
Scholarships by Type
These scholarships are categorized by certain groups, so if you classify as any of the below groups (which you will for at least one), then you have specific scholarships waiting for you to take advantage of.
Scholarship Contests & Sweepstakes
This is where you can find quick and easy scholarships. They generally just require some information and then you’re entered in to potentially win some money for college!
Scholarships for Graduate Students
Just because you’ve already got a Bachelor’s Degree doesn’t mean you can’t get funding for graduate school. Here are some scholarships for current college students:
Scholarships for High School Students
I had absolutely no idea that high school students in ANY grade are eligible to receive scholarships. I thought there were only college scholarships for high school seniors. Boy was I wrong. These scholarships for high school students are a great way to prepare for college years before even starting.
Scholarships for Undergraduate Students
If you’re already an undergrad, you can still receive scholarships each year. These are broken down into class standing, so no matter what year of college you’re in, you still can apply and *hopefully* receive some free money.
Unigo, the company that has brought us all these amazing scholarships in one place, offers some scholarships of their own! These scholarships are different than your typical scholarship, being that they want to hear your own voice through your writing on fun and silly topics. They want you to let your creative side out, and potentially earn money for college while doing so! They’re totally worth applying for.
This is a collection of really bizarre scholarships. They’re definitely worth checking out.
• Unusual: Some examples include the Vegetarian Resource Group Scholarship and the Pink Tractor Scholarship.
• Weird: These scholarships include the Zombie Apocalypse Scholarship 2017 and Stuck at Prom Scholarship Contest.
May this list of awesome scholarships for college be ever in your favor. Good luck! And if this list helped you, please share it